Sports Monks

Johnson out of CJ Cup after positive COVID-19 test

American professional golfer, Dustin Johnson has backed out of this week’s CJ Cup after testing positive for COVID-19, the PGA Tour said on Tuesday.

Dustin last competed at September’s U.S. Open, notified Tour officials he was showing symptoms and was conducted a test, leading to his step down from the Las Vegas event as he begins to self-isolate, the Tour said.

“I am very disappointed,” Johnson said.

“I was looking forward to competing this week but will do everything I can to return as quickly as possible.

“I have already had a few calls with the Tour’s medical team and appreciate all the support and guidance they have given me.”

At East Lake last month, Johnson won three times and took home his first FedExCup championship. He was also titled with PGA Tour Player of the Year for the second time.

J.T. Poston will take place for Johnson in the CJ Cup field.

The news came a week after Tony Finau was insisted to step down from the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open after testing positive for the virus, which killed more than 215,000 people in the USA.

Finau will also not be competing at the CJ Cup either.

A community of professional golfers have tested positive since the PGA Tour returned in June, including golfers like Briton Sam Horsfield and American Scottie Scheffler, who were not able to compete at the U.S. Open due to positive COVID-19 tests.

Leave a Reply