- Russian athletes cannot be allowed at Olympics, Zelensky says
- Ronaldo’s Al Nassr Knocked Out of Saudi Super Cup
- Al Nassr Coach Garcia Says “It’s a Positive Addition when You have a Player like Ronaldo”
- Hockey World Cup: New Zealand Beat India, Host India Lost Hope of Winning This World Cup
- Argentine Farmer Grows 124-Acre Image of Lionel Messi to Celebrate World Cup Triumph
Real Madrid news: Cristiano Ronaldo hatches cunning Lionel Messi plan after Espanyol loss
- Updated: February 28, 2018
CRISTIANO RONALDO has reportedly hatched a plan to ensure he wins another Ballon d’Or ahead of Lionel Messi.
Real Madrid suffered a surprising defeat as they lost 1-0 against Espanyol in La Liga this evening.
Gerard Moreno scored a 93rd-minute winner to ensure Los Blancos lost even further ground on league leaders Barcelona.
Ronaldo was rested during the defeat but he is apparently not too bothered about losing in the league once again.
According to Spanish outlet Diario Gol, the Portuguese star believes that any hopes of winning the title are now over and he instead wants to focus on the Champions League.
The 33-year-old’s plan is to rest up so he can fully focus on helping the team in Europe, according to Diario Gol.
Ronaldo reportedly thinks that Real are now favourites to win the the tournament after they beat Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 in the first leg of their last-16 tie.
Missing league games would also allow the attacker to be fresh for when the World Cup comes around this summer.
Success in Russia, coupled with a Champions League win, could land Ronaldo his sixth Ballon d’Or – taking his tally one above Messi.
Meanwhile, Messi is involved in a tough battle for domestic honours which will probably go right to the wire as second-placed Atletico Madrid are only seven points off the summit.
The Argentina international will be forced to play in every game as the Catalonians battle on all fronts.
And that is where Ronaldo apparently believes he holds the advantage to claim the ultimate prize at the end of the year.