- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Starting lineup news: Tonali set to feature at St. James’ Park Sandro Tonali will grace the St. James’ Park pitch for the first time as …
- Updated: August 7, 2023
Newcastle United faces Fiorentina in the Sela Cup, presented by VisitMalta, with kick-off at 3:30 pm on Saturday.
The summer signing is selected to start in midfield for the Magpies in their inaugural match of the tournament, as Eddie Howe’s squad prepares to take on the Italian side before facing Villarreal on Sunday.
Over the course of the weekend, Howe is expected to give playing time to most of his first-team players as they conclude their preparations for the 2023/24 season. Among the new recruits, Tonali, the former AC Milan midfielder, becomes the first to make his home debut, with Harvey Barnes set to follow.
The starting lineup features Martin Dúbravka in goal, and the back four comprises Kieran Trippier, Alex Murphy, Sven Botman, and Matt Targett. Tonali anchors the midfield, flanked by Elliot Anderson and Lewis Miley.
Moving forward, Miguel Almirón and Anthony Gordon take up positions on the wings, aiming to supply service to center forward Alexander Isak.
Head coach Howe has opted for a youthful bench, with Mark Gillespie providing the most experience among the substitutes. Jude Smith, another goalkeeper, is also named, alongside Remi Savage, Charlie McArthur, and Jordan Hackett.
In midfield backup roles, Nathan Carlyon, Jamie Miley, Lucas De Bolle, James Huntley, and Jay Turner-Cooke are included, while Ben Parkinson, Amadou Diallo, and Michael Ndiweni are the attacking reinforcements.