Fifa COO Kevin Lamour exits after Infantino public criticism

FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour has left the organisation, just weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s controversial proposal to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments.

FIFA confirmed that Lamour’s working relationship with the governing body ended on August 17, 2026, without providing further details.

Lamour Leaves FIFA After Criticising Infantino Plan

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership team in November 2024 after previously being part of Infantino’s campaign team during his successful presidential bid in 2016.

Last month, Lamour openly criticised a proposal to establish a $20 billion commercial subsidiary and sell up to a 20% stake to private equity investors.

He claimed FIFA staff had been misled about the plan and described it as “the project of one person.”

FIFA confirmed Lamour’s departure but said it would make no further comment on the matter.

Infantino’s Commercial Rights Proposal Sparks Backlash

Lamour’s departure follows growing opposition to Infantino’s proposed commercial restructuring.

The plan was designed to raise around $4.2 billion through the sale of a minority stake in the new subsidiary. Infantino withdrew the proposal shortly after senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned and described the deal as being against football’s interests.

Despite the withdrawal, the controversy surrounding the proposal has continued.

Infantino’s Reelection Faces New Challenges

The growing internal and external opposition has also raised questions about Infantino’s bid for a fourth term as FIFA president in March 2027.

His reelection had previously appeared highly likely, but opposition from several powerful football confederations has changed the political landscape.

UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and CONCACAF have all expressed concerns over Infantino’s conduct, while he continues to retain support from the African and South American confederations.

FairSquare Challenges Infantino’s Eligibility

Human rights organisation FairSquare has formally approached FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee (GACC), asking it to determine whether Infantino should be eligible to seek another presidential term.

The organisation argues that FIFA’s rules clearly limit presidents to three terms.

FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan said allowing Infantino to exclude his initial period in office from the calculation would undermine the purpose of term limits.

Debate Over Infantino’s Three-Term Limit

Infantino was first elected in 2016 after the resignation of former FIFA president Sepp Blatter amid a major corruption scandal.

He was subsequently elected unopposed in 2019 and 2023.

In 2022, Infantino successfully argued that his initial 2016–2019 period should not count as a full presidential term because he had completed an interrupted mandate.

Critics now argue that interpretation could effectively allow him to serve beyond FIFA’s three-term limit.

UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF Seek Independent Review

Last week, UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF called for an independent review of Infantino’s conduct.

People familiar with the situation reportedly believe the review could provide Infantino with an opportunity to step down voluntarily.

The development adds another layer of uncertainty ahead of next year’s FIFA presidential election.

Scottish FA Says It Will Not Support Infantino

Opposition is also emerging from national football associations.

Scottish Football Association Chief Executive Ian Maxwell told the BBC that Scotland would not support Infantino’s reelection.

Former FIFA Governance and Review Committee chief Miguel Maduro, who helped draft FairSquare’s complaint, also criticised any attempt to bypass the organisation’s term-limit rules.

FIFA Faces Growing Governance Questions

Maduro argued that term limits were a central part of FIFA’s governance reforms introduced in 2016 and warned against treating established rules as obstacles that can simply be bypassed.

The latest developments come as FIFA faces increasing scrutiny over its leadership, governance and commercial strategy.

With Infantino’s potential fourth-term bid now facing opposition from several major football bodies, the coming months could prove crucial for the future leadership of world football.

Leave a Reply