- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Test series set to go ahead as planned as IPL consider later resumption in UAE to avoid clash
- Updated: May 26, 2021
India’s cricket board (BCCI) considering moving IPL resumption date to September 19, avoiding clash with fifth Test between India and England at Old Trafford, scheduled to finish on September 14; IPL postponed earlier this month due to coronavirus cases
England’s Test series with India is set to go ahead as scheduled this summer, despite reports earlier this week that Indian cricket’s governing body, the BCCI, had enquired about moving the fifth Test at Old Trafford.
There had reportedly been concerns over a clash between the final Test match – scheduled to finish on September 14 – and the resumption of the Indian Premier League (IPL), which was postponed in early May after a number of players tested positive for coronavirus.
But, IPL organisers are instead considering resuming the tournament on September 19 in the UAE, with the final taking place on October 10.
That would leave just one week between the end of the IPL and the start of the T20 World Cup and would also mean a clash with the Caribbean Premier League.
The ECB says it received no official request from the BCCI to move the series and they continue to plan as scheduled.
If the new IPL dates are confirmed, the schedule would not affect the England-India Test series, with players expected to fly directly from the UK to a new biosphere bubble in the UAE.
England’s players are unlikely to be able to participate in the remaining stages of the IPL, as they travel to Bangladesh and Pakistan in October.
Source: Sky Sports