- Tunisia’s Jabeur to become first Arab player to crack top 10
- Lautaro Martinez Takes Argentina Run To 25 Unbeaten, Brazil Thrash Uruguay
- Kylian Mbappe Takes Centre Stage For PSG In Absence Of Lionel Messi, Neymar
- Burj Khalifa Lights Up In Team India’s Colours Ahead Of T20 World Cup. Watch
- Kolkata Knight Riders Edge Delhi Capitals By 3 Wickets In Thriller To Enter Third Final
Hamilton stretches F1 lead with victory in Portugal
- Updated: May 3, 2021
LONDON: Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton won the Portuguese Grand Prix for Mercedes on Sunday (May 2) to stretch his Formula One lead over Red Bull’s Max Verstappen to eight points after three races.
Verstappen finished second at the Algarve circuit with Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas completing the podium, and taking a bonus point for the fastest lap, after starting from pole position.
Verstappen’s Mexican team mate Sergio Perez was fourth.
The victory was a record-extending 97th of Hamilton’s career, second of the year and repeated his win at the same circuit last season.
“That was such a tough race, physically and mentally, just keeping everything together. It was very windy out there so it was very easy to put a foot wrong,” said Hamilton, who started on the front row with Bottas.
“I just didn’t quite get as good a start as Valtteri and then lost out on the re-start, which was not good. I was not happy about that.”