- I Want to Become the Most Capped Player in History says Ronaldo
- Football Women’s Team Player ask FIFA for Equal World Cup Prize Money
- 96% of World Cup fans want to visit again in Qatar: Al Thawadi
- Al Gharafa and Muaither Advance to Amir Cup Quarter-Finals
- Benn Says He Had Suicidal Thoughts after Positive Drug Tests
Dramatic CAF Super Cup victory for Al Ahly
- Updated: December 23, 2021
Al-Rayyan (Qatar) – Taher Mohamed and Akram Tawfik played key roles as Al Ahly of Egypt edged Raja Casablanca of Morocco 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw to win a CAF Super Cup thriller in Qatar on Wednesday.
Mohamed levelled during the final minute of regular time in Al Rayyan, firing a low shot into the corner of the net after being set up by South African Percy Tau.
Raja had led from the 13th minute when an Abdelilah Madkour shot deflected off Yassir Ibrahim into the net at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium, one of eight 2022 World Cup venues.
In a superb exhibition of penalty taking, the clubs converted five each to send the shootout to sudden death.
Tawfik nudged Ahly ahead for a sixth time with a kick that gave Raja goalkeeper Anas Zniti no chance before a large crowd in the 45,000-capacity ground.
Madkour had to score to keep Raja in contention, but he blazed his shot over the crossbar and Ahly celebrated a record-extending eighth Super Cup success.
Source: France 24