- LeBron James Agrees to Extend his Lakers Contract
- Manchester United could let Cristiano Ronaldo leave in the next transfer window
- The end of an era as Serena Williams announces retirement
- Commonwealth Games: New Zealand beat England to earn T20 cricket bronze
- Fernando Alonso to join Aston Martin in 2023
Artistic swimming qualifier to be held outside Japan in June
- Updated: April 21, 2021
An Olympic artistic swimming qualifier scheduled for Tokyo in May will now be held outside Japan in June at a location to be decided, world body FINA said on Tuesday.
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted preparations for the start of the 2020 Summer Games, already postponed by a year, in July.
FINA said in a statement that the changes were due in part to “challenges related to the international calendar and the necessary adaptation of the venue to the Olympic Games’ operations in mid-May”.
An operational test event will be held in Tokyo in July.
A marathon swimming qualifier that was scheduled for Fukuoka in late May has already been moved to Setubal, in Portugal, in June.
A diving qualifier and test event will go ahead in Tokyo in May, however.
The Tokyo Games are set to run from July 23 to Aug. 8.