- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Reigning Asian champions Ulsan Hyundai arrive in Doha
- Updated: January 30, 2021
DOHA: Reigning Asian champions Ulsan Hyundai (South Korea) and African champions Al Ahly arrived here for the FIFA Club World Cup.
The players and officials underwent COVID-19 testing before departing for their designated hotel. They will remain in a medical bubble throughout the tournament in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
A large number of Egyptian fans were at the Hamad International Airport to greet their favourite team.
Al Ahly coach Pitso Mosimane said: “We are delighted to be in Qatar for this exciting tournament. There are many Al Ahly fans in Doha – and we are looking forward to having their support in our match against Al Duhail. This will be a great test for us as we aim to qualify for the semifinals and a match against Bayern Munich.”
Al Ahly will take on Qatar Stars League winners Al Duhail SC at Education City Stadium on 4 February (kick-off 20:30) and the winner will face European giants, Bayern Munich, on 8 February.
For the Egyptian side, it is the sixth time in the club’s history they will taking part in the tournament.
In 2006, Al Ahly became the first Arab and African club to reach the podium in the FIFA Club World Cup.
Asian champions Ulsan will face CONCACAF winners Tigres UANL from Mexico on February 4 at Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium (kick-off 17:00) – one of two FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 venues.
Ulsan Hyundai FC head coach Hong Myung-bo said: “The players are pleased to be back in Qatar for the FIFA Club World Cup and are looking forward to training ahead of our match against Tigres.”
“We are excited to take part in this global event and test ourselves against some of the best sides in the world. This is also a golden opportunity for the team to prepare for the K-League season, which will kick off soon.”