- ATP roundup: Stefanos Tsitsipas survives opener in Vienna
- Patience is required as Raducanu looks to build on US Open win
- India vs Pakistan, Team India Report Card: Analysing The Complete Annihilation Of Virat Kohli’s Side
- New IPL Teams Named; Ahmedabad To CVC Capital Partners, RPSG Group Gets Lucknow
- F1 drivers defend Netflix series after Verstappen snub
Serena Williams withdraws from Miami Open
- Updated: March 22, 2021
Serena Williams has pulled out of this week’s Miami Open after having oral surgery.
The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion was knocked out of the Australian Open semi-finals by Naomi Osaka in January.
“I am disappointed to withdraw,” said 39-year-old Williams, who has won the Miami Open eight times.
“Miami is a special tournament for me because it’s my home and I am sad I won’t be able to see the incredible fans this year.”
The men’s draw has already been depleted by the withdrawals of world number one Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and world number four Dominic Thiem.
It gets under way on Monday.