- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Joel Embiid Karl-Anthony Towns historic performances
- Updated: January 23, 2024
On the 18th anniversary of Kobe Bryant’s iconic 81-point game, Joel Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns delivered historic performances in the NBA. Embiid scored 70 points, 18 rebounds, and 5 assists against the San Antonio Spurs, setting a Philadelphia 76ers single-game scoring record. Towns finished with 62 points and 8 rebounds against the Charlotte Hornets. This marked the fourth instance in NBA history where two players scored 60 points on the same day, with the last pair being David Thompson and George Gervin in 1978.
Embiid’s performance against the Spurs included several remarkable numbers. He set the 76ers’ single-game scoring record, surpassing a mark that stood since 1967. Embiid became the first player with 70 points and 15 rebounds in a game since Wilt Chamberlain in 1963 and the third to achieve this feat. Additionally, he became the first player in NBA history with 70 points, 15 rebounds, and 5 assists. Towns, on the other hand, became the seventh player in NBA history with multiple career 60-point games, and his 62 points set a Timberwolves single-game scoring record.
Key Numbers from Joel Embiid’s Performance:
- Turnovers: Embiid recorded just one turnover in his high-scoring game, setting a record for the most points in a game with one turnover or none since 1977-78.
- Free Throws: Thirty percent of Embiid’s points came from the free-throw line, making 21 of 23 attempts. This marked his fourth career game with at least 20 free throws, the most in 76ers history.
- 40-Point, 10-Rebound Games: Embiid recorded his 43rd 40-point, 10-rebound game, tying Shaquille O’Neal for the sixth most in NBA history. He shares the record for the most such games since the NBA merger in 1976-77 with O’Neal.
- Playing Time: Embiid’s 70-point game was achieved in 36 minutes and 38 seconds, the fewest in NBA history for a 70-point game.
Key Numbers from Karl-Anthony Towns’ Performance:
- 3-Pointers: Towns hit 10 three-pointers in his 62-point night, becoming the third player in Timberwolves history to achieve this feat. He is also the first player in NBA history with 10 three-pointers, 10 two-point field goals, and 10 free throws made in a game.
- First-Half Points: Towns scored 44 points in the first half, surpassing Kobe Bryant for the most points in a first half since the 1996-97 season.
- Shooting Efficiency: Towns scored his 40-plus first-half points on 80% shooting, joining Brandon Jennings as the only players to do so in the play-by-play era.
- Historic Achievements: Towns became the first No. 1 pick in NBA history with multiple 60-point games and the first Timberwolves player to score 60 in a game.
The performances by Embiid and Towns added to the rich history of high-scoring games in the NBA, with both players achieving individual milestones and contributing to a memorable day in basketball history.
For More Related Updates Please Visit Our Official Website
By- Sahiba Suri