- Patience is required as Raducanu looks to build on US Open win
- India vs Pakistan, Team India Report Card: Analysing The Complete Annihilation Of Virat Kohli’s Side
- New IPL Teams Named; Ahmedabad To CVC Capital Partners, RPSG Group Gets Lucknow
- F1 drivers defend Netflix series after Verstappen snub
- Tunisia’s Jabeur to become first Arab player to crack top 10
Messi free kick not enough as Argentina held to draw by Chile at Copa America
- Updated: June 15, 2021
RIO DE JANEIRO: Argentina’s Lionel Messi scored one of his trademark free-kicks in the first half but Eduardo Vargas equalized for Chile to leave honors even at 1-1 in their Copa America opener in Rio de Janeiro on Monday.
Messi curled a superb free-kick into the corner of Claudio Bravo’s net from 25 meters after 33 minutes.
Chile equalized 13 minutes into the second half when Vargas followed up to head home the rebound after Arturo Vidal’s penalty was tipped onto the bar by Emiliano Martinez.
The result extended Argentina’s unbeaten run to 14 games under coach Lionel Scaloni, a sequence dating back to the 2019 Copa America semi-final.
Paraguay takes on Bolivia in the second Group A game later on Monday, with Uruguay, the fifth team in the section, debuting on Friday.