- GT vs RR, IPL 2022: Kolkata Weather Update As Gujarat Titans And Rajasthan Royals Clash In Qualifier 1 At Eden Gardens
- Manchester United book Europa League spot despite 1-0 defeat at Palace
- Manchester City fight back to win title, Spurs take fourth
- Mbappe signs contract extension with PSG until 2025
- Leipzig edge Freiburg on penalties in German Cup final
Spurs’ Kane faces race to prove fitness for League Cup final
- Updated: April 24, 2021
LONDON: Tottenham striker Harry Kane is in a race against time to be fit for the League Cup final against Manchester City after he missed training on Friday (Apr 23).
Kane suffered another ankle injury in the 2-2 draw at Everton last week and missed the midweek win over Southampton.
Interim boss Ryan Mason does not know whether the England captain will be available for Sunday’s showpiece game against City at Wembley as Spurs hunt their first trophy since 2008.
“We’re not sure yet. He didn’t train with the team today (Friday) but we’ll have more of an idea tomorrow to see if we can get him back on the pitch,” said Mason, who replaced the sacked Jose Mourinho on Monday.
“It’s a case of taking it hour by hour now. So the days are obviously running out. It’s a case of seeing how he feels in the next four hours, the next six hours, and go from there.”
Kane has a habit returning quickly from injuries, notably for the 2019 Champions League final, in which he was well off the pace in a defeat against Liverpool.
This ankle problem is not as serious but Mason said Kane would not be risked if it could inflict further damage.
“A week without training is not a problem for someone in Harry’s condition,” he said.
“But I think we are going to have to assess it later tonight, early on tomorrow morning, and see if we can get him onto the pitch.”