- Russian athletes cannot be allowed at Olympics, Zelensky says
- Ronaldo’s Al Nassr Knocked Out of Saudi Super Cup
- Al Nassr Coach Garcia Says “It’s a Positive Addition when You have a Player like Ronaldo”
- Hockey World Cup: New Zealand Beat India, Host India Lost Hope of Winning This World Cup
- Argentine Farmer Grows 124-Acre Image of Lionel Messi to Celebrate World Cup Triumph
Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos makes Cristiano Ronaldo claim and fires Barcelona warning
- Updated: February 22, 2018
SERGIO RAMOS took up penalty duties as Real Madrid beat Leganes 3-1 this evening.
The La Liga champions were completing their domestic game in-hand and they rested a number of key men including Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale.
And it looked like the decision could have been a regrettable one early on as Unai Bustinza gave Leganes a shock lead inside six minutes.
But Lucas Vazquez restored parity five minutes later before Casemiro flipped the game on its head on the half-hour mark.
Real Madrid were then given a glorious chance to put the game to bed on the stroke of full-time when they were awarded a penalty.
And defender Ramos stepped up to duly dispatch the spot kick – but he insists he does not want to take the duty off Ronaldo full-time.
“Whenever Ronaldo isn't here, then it's either Bale or me,' Ramos said.
'We alternate. There's no rivalry.'
The win took Los Blancos up to third in the table, but they still trail leaders Barcelona by 14 points.
However, the Real captain says their titles hopes are not over just yet.
'These victories always help to boost morale,' he added. “Despite the bad results, this is the path to follow.
'We've turned things around and we're achieving our objectives little by little.
'We will keep fighting in La Liga and will try to cut the gap by as many points as possible.
'We will keep improving and trying to concede as few goals as possible.'