- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Manchester City’s Rodri Deserves the 2023 Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi, Says Fans
- Updated: June 19, 2023
Football fans on Twitter have claimed that Manchester City’s Rodri deserves the 2023 Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi following Spain’s UEFA Nations League win.
La Roja lifted the Nations League title for the first time in their history following a 5-4 win on penalties (0-0 after extra-time) over Croatia on Sunday, June 18. It marked Rodri’s fourth title of the 2022-23 season after he won the Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League.
The 26-year-old midfielder has been key to the success enjoyed by both Manchester City and Spain. He notably won the Player of the Match award in both the Champions League and Nations League finals as well. This has led many to proclaim that he deserves this year’s Ballon d’Or.
Messi, meanwhile, was considered the favorite just a few months ago after spearheading Argentina to glory at the 2022 FIFA World Cup. La Pulga won the Golden Ball at the tournament in Qatar, while also helping Paris Saint-Germain clinch this season’s Ligue 1 title.
Rodri’s antics over the last couple of months, though, seems to have turned a few heads, especially on Twitter, with one fan writing after Sunday’s final: