- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Karim Benzema scored twice as Real Madrid beat Alaves in their La Liga opener as Carlo Ancelotti and Gareth Bale returned to the club.
- Updated: August 15, 2021
Bale, back from a loan spell at Tottenham, was in former Everton boss Ancelotti’s first starting XI.
Eden Hazard set up Benzema’s opener with a nice flick and Nacho doubled the lead with a volley.
Benzema scored again and Joselu slotted a penalty for Alaves before Vinicius Jr scored a late fourth for Real.
David Alaba made his Real debut at left-back after his free-transfer move from Bayern Munich – and set up that late Vinicius goal.
Real laboured in the first half but cruised after the break, with Hazard looking in good shape following the fitness problems that have plagued his time at Madrid so far.
A backheel pass by the Belgium playmaker for Benzema’s opener in particular was outstanding.
Bale’s Real Madrid career looks revived after the appointment of Ancelotti, having struggled to get in Zinedine Zidane’s team before going to Spurs for a year. His previous Real game was against Mallorca in June 2020.
Source: BBC Sport