GOAT Lionel Messi is only the seventh most valuable player in the world
- Updated: January 8, 2019
Lionel Messi might be considered as one of the greatest players of all time, but according to CIES Football Observatory, he is only the seventh most valuable player in the world right now.
CIES reckon that Barcelona’s captain is worth a staggering €171.2m however, its way below what PSG and France’s young striking sensation Kylian Mbappe’s worth of €218.5m at the top of the charts
Here is the list of top 10 most valuable players in world football, according to the CIES.
1. Kylian Mbappe (France and PSG) – €218.5m
2. Harry Kane (England and Tottenham) – €200.3m
3. Neymar (Brazil and PSG) – €197.1m
4. Raheem Sterling (England and Manchester City) – €185.8m
5. Mohamed Salah (Egypt and Liverpool) – €184.3m
6. Paulo Dybala (Argentina and Juventus) – €171.9m
7. Lionel Messi – (Argentina and Barcelona) – €171.2m
8. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium and Manchester United) – €162.0m
9. Philippe Coutinho (Brazil and Barcelona) – €157.0m
10. Leroy Sane (Germany and Manchester City) – €156.1m
Surprisingly Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo, Chelsea’s Eden Hazard and N’golo Kante do not make the list. There is no Real Madrid player in the top 10 as well.
These valuations are determined by the CIES which uses an exclusive algorithm that considers a variety of attributes including player’s age, results, position and most importantly the league.