- Russian athletes cannot be allowed at Olympics, Zelensky says
- Ronaldo’s Al Nassr Knocked Out of Saudi Super Cup
- Al Nassr Coach Garcia Says “It’s a Positive Addition when You have a Player like Ronaldo”
- Hockey World Cup: New Zealand Beat India, Host India Lost Hope of Winning This World Cup
- Argentine Farmer Grows 124-Acre Image of Lionel Messi to Celebrate World Cup Triumph
Barcelona Lose First League Game At Home In More Than Two Years
- Updated: November 12, 2018
La Liga table-toppers Barcelona have lost a league game at home for the first time in the last two years as a spirited Real Betis beat the defending champions with some dazzling display at the Camp Nou. Lionel Messi was back in the starting XI for Barcelona following his recovery from a broken arm, but the little magician couldn’t help his side avoid defeat on a night that belonged to Betis. Barcelona’s previous home league game defeat came on 10th September 2016, where they had lost 1-2 to Alaves.
Junior Firpo put the visitors ahead just 20 minutes into the game before Joaquin doubled the lead going into the halftime break. Barcelona were not going to give up, and Lionel Messi pulled one back from the penalty spot, but Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s error saw Giovani lo Celso score the third for Betis.
Barcelona clawed one back courtesy of a tap-in from Arturo Vidal, but Sergio Canales put the game to bed scoring Real Betis’ 4th of the night. Ivan Rakitic was sent off for a second yellow, but despite being a man down, Barcelona pushed men forward only to grab a consolation goal, though Lionel Messi. Despite the defeat, the Catalan side sits atop the La Liga table one point ahead of Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Alaves.