- Ruud and Rune lead Viking charge into last 16 at French Open
- Real Madrid beats Liverpool to win Champions League
- Tickets to go on sale for FIFA World Cup 2022™ play-offs at Qatar’s Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium
- IPL 2022: Led by Patidar’s 100, RCB beat LSG by 14 runs; will meet RR in Qualifier 2
- Chelsea takeover: Todd Boehly’s £4.25bn bid approved by government as Roman Abramovich era set to end
Atletico Madrid express interest in Alvaro Morata
- Updated: January 10, 2019
Spanish side Atletico Madrid have now joined Sevilla in the race to sign Chelsea’s misfiring striker Alvaro Morata. The Los Rojiblancos are currently waiting to see if former Chelsea man Diego Costa can successfully return from a surgery he underwent on his left foot at the start of December.
Costa is expected to make a return at the start of next month and Diego Simeone is left concerned after Nikola Kalinic is struggling to replicate Costa’s heroics.
Morata is keen to return to Spain and Sevilla is the likely destination for the striker who is looking to revive his career in his country. Sevilla’s sporting director Joaquin Caparros that they are his first choice.
‘It is true that we have an interest in this player [Morata], but it is a very, very complicated operation. The player may want to come here over other options, but it is very complicated. Chelsea are a club who are very difficult to negotiate [with]’ Joaquin Caparros was quoted saying.
However Spanish radio Cope claims that Atletico’s chief dealmaker Andrea Bertra is in London to talk with the Blues about a potential deal for Alvaro Morata.
The 26-year-old started his career in Atletico Madrid’s youth academy before being signed by Real Madrid.