- Virat Kohli Finds Form As Royal Challengers Bangalore Beat Gujarat Titans To Stay In Play-Off Race
- Rights groups urge FIFA to earmark $440mln for Qatar migrant workers
- Eintracht, Rangers fans put on show for the ages at Europa League final
- Medvedev downplays French Open title chances after Geneva exit
- Liverpool take title race down to the wire with win at Southampton
Atletico edge closer to La Liga title after Real Sociedad win
- Updated: May 13, 2021
MADRID: Atletico Madrid held their nerve to beat Real Sociedad 2-1 on Wednesday (May 12) and move within touching distance of winning La Liga.
Yannick Carrasco and Angel Correa made a dominant first half count for Atletico, who retreated in the second and were left hanging on after Igor Zubeldia blasted in for La Real with seven minutes left.
When the final whistle blew, Diego Simeone jogged up the tunnel at the Wanda Metropolitano, punching the air as he went, fully aware how important this result could prove.
Outside, Atleti fans had gathered to cheer and sing throughout a nervy contest and when victory was confirmed, fireworks filled the sky.
Victory puts their team four points clear of Barcelona in the table and five ahead of Real Madrid, with Zinedine Zidane’s side playing their game in hand away at Granada on Thursday.
It also raises the possibility of Atletico winning the title in the penultimate round on Sunday when they play at home to Osasuna.
Another victory this weekend would knock Barca out of the race regardless of what the Catalans do against Celta Vigo while Real Madrid would also concede if they had not taken six points from Granada and Sunday’s trip to Athletic Bilbao.
Sevilla, in fourth, had earlier edged past Valencia 1-0 but they can no longer overtake Atleti, given their six-point deficit and a losing head-to-head record with the leaders.