- Ronaldo’s Al Nassr Knocked Out of Saudi Super Cup
- Al Nassr Coach Garcia Says “It’s a Positive Addition when You have a Player like Ronaldo”
- Hockey World Cup: New Zealand Beat India, Host India Lost Hope of Winning This World Cup
- Argentine Farmer Grows 124-Acre Image of Lionel Messi to Celebrate World Cup Triumph
- FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: Record-Breaking World Cup With 5.95 Billion Engagements
Mentor questions Cook’s dismal run
- Updated: September 1, 2018
England cricketing legend, Graham Gooch has called out Alastair Cook for his dismal form in the ongoing Test series vs India. The opener has been dismissed cheaply in all the innings so far, and his highest score is just 29 in the six innings he has played so far.
Gooch has been a long time mentor for the English opener but is not seeing anything positive from the 33-year-old's form. 'My concern watching him is that I don't see any improvements in his game. I think he's flatlining a little bit … when you're a cricketer, a batsman, you always need to improve yourself – you need to look for new things to do to drive you forward.' he told BBC Radio.
The former English captain went on to question how Cook is practicing these days as he is making similar mistakes while playing. He believes that the opener has a lot to improve and needs to work on it.
'I don't know how he's practicing; I don't know what he's doing away from the game. I am concerned when I see him play because I think he makes similar mistakes, and even at 33, 34, you can improve yourself,' Gooch said.
Gooch is the ideal one to advise Cook right now as he is one of the two players who has scored over 5000 Test runs after turning 34. Sachin Tendulkar is the only other batsman to have done the same.
With Cook turning 34 this year and England playing another 9 Tests before the year ends, it is the best time for the two to spend a few extra hours in training.
Cook relinquished his captaincy to concentrate on his batting. He claims that he wanted to be the side's senior batsman, but if the opener doesn't improve, he might be left out of the team soon