- Molly O’Callaghan, a 19-year-old swimmer from Australia, etched her name in the annals of swimming history with a remarkable performance in the Women’s 200m Freestyle event
- Akshay Bhatia, 21, Wins his First PGA Tour Title at the Barracuda Championship
- Bruno Fernandes Replaces Harry Maguire as New Man Utd Captain
- Lionel Messi Surprises Teammate in group chat ahead of Grand Unveiling
- Man Utd Sign Keeper Andre Onana from Inter
Baby Malinga included as Sri Lanka Name Squad for CWC Qualifiers
- Updated: June 13, 2023
Indian Premier League pace sensation Matheesha Pathirana has been called up to Sri Lanka’s 15-player squad for the cut-throat 2023 Cricket World Cup Qualifier beginning this Sunday in Zimbabwe.
The UAE were the 10th and final nation to announce their squad overnight with the top two teams from the three-week tournament earning passage into the main draw of the ODI World Cup later this year.
Pathirana – dubbed ‘Baby Malinga’ for his uncannily similar action to the Sri Lankan great – made his ODI debut against Afghanistan last week where he took 1-66 from 8.5 overs in a six-wicket loss.
The right-arm slinger enjoyed a breakout IPL season with the Chennai Super Kings, collecting 19 wickets at an economy rate of 8.01 for the tournament and was frequently entrusted by captain MS Dhoni to bowl the tough death overs.
The 20-year-old was Chennai’s most economical bowler in their last-ball victory of a high-scoring final against Gujarat Titans in Ahmedabad.
Sri Lanka squad:
Dasun Shanaka (c), Kusal Mendis (wk), Dimuth Karunaratne, Pathum Nissanka, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, Dushan Hemantha
Source:- Cricket AU